The International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE) is the oldest, leading, most prestigious global membership organization for open, distance, flexible and online education, including e-learning, and draws its membership from institutions, educational authorities, commercial actors, and individuals. For a decade it has been a forefront leader in OER, working together with UNESCO.
ICDE is a NGO, in formal consultative relations with UNESCO. ICDE further derives its position from the unique knowledge and experience of its members throughout the world in the development and use of new methodologies and emerging technologies. ICDE organize events, conduct studies, projects and comprehensive information and communication activities. ICDE publishes an international peer reviewed open access scholarly journal, Open Praxis, which focuses on research and innovation in open, distance and flexible education.
ICDE works to:
- Promote greater quality educational opportunity for all in the name of personal and societal development
- Further the acceptance of a wider range of learning modes
- Drive innovation and development in flexible educational provision
- Provide opportunities for professional interaction
- Encourage sharing of good practice and knowledge exchange
- Encourage and support linguistic groups and networks at national, regional and global levels
- Encourage ways to incorporate disadvantaged students in all educational provision
- Promote intercultural cooperation and understanding
- Juliane Granly, Project Coordinator ENCORE+, Project and Development Manager ICDE
- Torunn Gjelsvik, Secretary General ICDE
- Caroline Seville, Communications, Events and Partnerships Manager ICDE
- Ola Eloranta, Communications and Administration Officer